City of Casper, Wyoming
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Instrument and Controls Technician - Water Treatment Plant
at City of Casper, Wyoming
- Class Summary
- Assigned to: Water Treatment Plant
Open until filled
Total Compensation Package
Typically, all positions will begin being paid at the beginning of pay range listed above.
Incumbents are responsible for performing a variety of skilled work in the installation, alteration, maintenance and repair of water and wastewater utilities including instrumentation, controls, equipment and fixtures. Responsibilities may include repairing existing electrical wiring systems, troubleshooting electrical systems and testing new electronic equipment. Receives general supervision from the Plant Maintenance Supervisor and higher level management staff.This position is driving essential (see driving requirements below).
- Typical Class Essential Duties
1. Maintains and repairs existing electrical wiring systems; installs, alters, maintains and repairs electronic wiring systems, SCADA control equipment, flow measuring equipment, systems and programs.
2. Orders, installs and tests all new electronic equipment.
3. Performs preventative maintenance checks and calibrations; completes corrective maintenance duties as assigned following set priority ratings and procedures.
4. Repairs, calibrates and maintains utility system alarm systems, feeders, mixers, telemetry systems and controllers.
5. Operates necessary electrical/electronic test equipment, oscilloscopes, ammeters, ohmmeters, voltage meters, specialized meters, computers and instrumentation equipment.
6. Installs equipment, including small motors, coils and small transformers.
7. Maintains and troubleshoots electrical systems; installs, troubleshoots and maintains electronic systems related to water and wastewater pumping, booster stations, collection system and related control equipment.
8. Completes appropriate operational and maintenance records; inputs and retrieves a variety of information using a computer terminal.
9. Periodically serves standby duty after hours and on weekends for water treatment plant, water distribution, sewer collection, or wastewater treatment plant emergencies.
10. Represents the City of Casper by responding to the public, citizens, its employees, and others in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner while continuously maintaining a positive customer service demeanor.
11. Follows all City safety procedures. Reports all accidents/incidents immediately to supervisor.
12. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Systematic troubleshooting procedures.
- Standard practices, materials, tools and equipment of the electrical and electronics trade.
- Electrical and electronic maintenance procedures.
- Supervisory control and data acquisition systems.
- Theory and practical application of electronic control systems.
- Ladder diagrams and programming.
- Provisions of electrical codes applicable to installation, maintenance and repair work.
- Tools, equipment and materials used in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical and electronic systems.
- Work order system computer programs.
- Facilities management system computer programs.
Abilities (position requirements at entry):
- Read and interpret technical manuals and drawings.
- Troubleshoot and repair defects in electrical and electronic systems and equipment.
- Make confined space entries.
- Install and repair a variety of electronic systems related to water purification, water distribution, sewage collection, and wastewater treatment; repair a variety of electrical installations.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Work from drawings, specifications and blueprints.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Oral and written communication, sufficient to exchange or convey effective information and to receive work direction.
- Operating modern office equipment, software and operating systems/applications.
- Analyzing GIS data.
- Preparing maps.
- Maintaining databases.
- Performing mathematical calculations.
- Programming GIS applications.
- Reviewing data for accuracy.
- Providing customer service.
- Using computers and related software applications.
- Training, Experience & Certifications
Training and Experience
- Minimum of three years' experience in maintenance and repair of instrumentation and control systems.
- Associates Degree in electrical maintenance, electric engineering or a closely related field.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Wyoming Driver's License.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Limited Electrical or Low Voltage License, within one (1) year of hire.
- Supplemental Information & Physical Requirements
- The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.Employment with the City of Casper is contingent upon a successful background screen and pre-employment drug test. Applicants who have failed a pre-employment screen or have been terminated from the City of Casper are ineligible for employment consideration for 12 months. You will become eligible for consideration 12 months from the date of your incident (pre-employment screen or termination).As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must utilize direct deposit for payroll purposes.Driving records are required for all new employees regardless of the position's driving requirements. If the employee has not held a Wyoming driver's license for the last three years, the employee must provide at their own initiation and expense a driving record from their previous state(s) of residence.Physical Requirements:Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions and intense noises.Driving Requirements:
For driving essential positions, employment with the City of Casper is contingent upon a satisfactory driving record. A driving record that reflects any of the following criteria is considered unsatisfactory:
1) Convicted of three (3) or more moving violations within the previous 36 months (three separate, individual incidents);
2) A conviction within the previous 36 months of any of the following:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Leaving the scene of an accident;
- Fleeing to avoid arrest;
- Reckless Driving;
- Homicide or assault by motor vehicle;
- Driving without auto insurance;
- Driving on a suspended license;
- Refusal to take blood/breathalyzer test for suspected DUI or impaired driving.
If you have questions regarding the background screen, pre-employment drug test or driving record, please contact the Human Resources Office at (307)235-8344 prior to accepting a job offer.